Luminesce is a data virtualization engine for LUSID and other applications. It is proprietary technology designed and developed by FINBOURNE Technology Limited. Understanding the Luminesce platform architecture.
Luminesce enables you to query multiple sources of business intelligence simultaneously in real-time—including investment management data stored in LUSID itself—and build a consolidated picture for analysis, optionally writing data back into LUSID. Alternatively, you can use Luminesce in a standalone capacity, without interacting with LUSID at all.
Data virtualization means you don’t have to extract, transform and load data into a data warehouse or lake, with all the attendant cost, complexity and obsolescence issues. You don’t have to worry about data in multiple sources being in different formats or conforming to different models. You can query any number of data sources for which Luminesce providers exist in situ, using either our set of SQL-based tools or your own familiar BI app such as Power BI, Tableau or Excel. We supply providers for LUSID and other popular external data sources, or you can create your own.
If you are a LUSID user, and providing you have an appropriate license and access control permissions, you can interact with Luminesce using the LUSID web app, via the Data Virtualisation menu:
Explanation: See the big picture
Tutorials: Get started by doing something tangible
- Getting started: Retrieving a portfolio valuation
- Creating policies to control access to providers for different Luminesce users
Reference: Understand concepts and implications
- What tools are available to write Luminesce queries?
- What are a data provider and a direct provider?
- Understanding the Luminesce SQL query syntax
- Supported functions in Luminesce SQL queries
- Luminesce SQL keywords
- Providers supplied by FINBOURNE:
Reading/writing LUSID investment data
Reading/writing Drive files
Reading/writing SFTP server files
Reading/writing local files (NAS)
Reading/writing to SQL databases
Reading/writing to the Notification Service
Reading/writing to the Configuration Store
Reading/writing to the Scheduler
Creating custom views
Administering Luminesce itself
- Installing the Power BI Connector to connect Power BI Desktop to Luminesce
- Installing the standalone Windows ODBC driver to connect BI apps to Luminesce
- Installing the Windows DBC server and JDBC/ODBC client drivers to connect BI apps to Luminesce
- Enabling SSL to secure Windows DBC server and ODBC/JDBC client communications
- Caching Luminesce query results from BI apps for faster execution
How-to guides: Get something done